Friday, January 4, 2008

A Little History

A few months back I came across this quote by Oliver Wendell Holmes "Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions." This is where I took the name for my blog. so what you say? Well I read it once and liked it and then it was gone. A short time later it showed up again on a page I was reading and I started to think, " I really like this."
Being back in my home town has been difficult to say the least. When we moved here almost 3 years ago I never really thought this would be a hard place to come back to, but I have been wrong in the past and this time has been no different. Don't get me wrong, I love this place in many ways because I grew up here and many fond memories, but I also left when I was 18 and at that time never thought I would be back.
When I left my mind began the stretching part. Lot of new and great things happened to me that would have never happened if I had stayed. I would not change any of it. I found the love of my life in a great place that will always be very dear to me and her, Durango, CO. But then again, moving back here was for a reason, we adopted our son, Amos since we have been here. That in itself was more than enough of a reason for me to come back to my home town. Now I find myself wondering what else is there here for me to experience? One thing is that I am realizing a dream, trying ( I stress trying) to open my own restaurant. Something that is mine. Something where I can work for me, and work harder than ever to make it a success. It is a slow process, but I an trying to do it right and not make any huge mistakes that I would regret later. Anxious is a very good word to describe how I feel about the whole process. I am also be a realist in the fact that I am thinking about what if it doesn't happen? Well, when that time actually comes and I feel like I/we have done EVERYTHING possible in our power to make this happen and yet it is just not possible, then I will feel like I have done my best but it will be time to move on to the next phase of my life. In all honesty I really don't see why it won't happen, but one has to think of all the possibilities. I will write more about the project later and if you really want the details of how it has all come about then go to my wife's blog and click on her link to the details, http://www.longadventures.blogspot.com/. She has done a supercalifragilistic job with her blog and she says it is "ours", but it really is hers, and I could only hope that what babble i have to say would be half as great as hers. More later about the restaurant and everything else. Chow.

1 comment:

Damon said...

so glad to see your blog. I've got a whole lot of similar posts waiting in the wings. I know exactly what you mean in many ways.